A Journal of Transition to a Raw Food Lifestyle

Monday, December 27, 2010

Progress, Not Perfection

Hi guys!  I’m feeling a little down tonight, but I decided to write anyway.  This cold is getting to me.  I can’t warm up for anything.  I think part of it is the raw food and part of it is the blood pressure meds I just started taking.  I am used to being hot and sweaty ALL the time.  In addition it’s been in the 20s down here in South Louisiana.  I’m going to Boston for two days, where there’s currently a blizzard going on, and I’m really not looking forward to the cold, although I can’t wait to play in the snow.
I decided that I’m going to incorporate some cooked food in my diet.  I don’t want to be sick every time that I do decide to indulge in something cooked.  Also, if I eat some cooked food then I can warm it up, and I think that being warm will make me feel so much better.  I’m going to aim for 80%-90% raw daily, with a few 100% days each week.  I think that transitioning to 100% raw will be easier and more sustainable if I make it a gradual, long term change instead of diving in head first.
I really believe that this is THE way to eat to live.  I have seen so many positive changes already.  There are people around me who are listening to the message of raw food, and I believe that I can help people by example.  The more research that I do, the more I realize that I don’t have to be perfect at this.  Almost perfect is plenty good enough.    

1 comment:

  1. Hey Stacy,
    I can totally relate with what you are going through. I grew up in a household that lived on the conventional American/Southern diet. My mom and one of my sisters are obese, the other sister is borderline obese if not there already, my younger brother is overweight and drinks too much, and my older brother died this year of a heart attack at 50 years old. This is what I have had to overcome in changing how I eat and it wasn’t done overnight.
    For almost twenty years I have been making changes in how I eat. I started by eating how conventional wisdom says you should eat: Lean meats, whole wheat bread, fruits and vegetables with occasional indulgences. After eating this way for a few months, I decided to indulge in McDonalds. I felt as if I was about to have a heart attack. At that point I swore off burger joints and eventually all fast food. For a couple of times, two and four years, I was vegetarian. I gave up soda entirely about six years ago after experiencing withdrawal from indulging in a case of Coca Cola. Now I am back to eating raw 90-100% after failing five years ago and several times in between then and now. The past five years I have maintained at about 30-50%.
    The point is that despite setbacks and stagnation, the general trend has been upward. The fact that you have not given up entirely is a good sign. Please continue to blog. It will help you to continue thinking about your journey and ways to move forward.
    As I get back into eating raw I am realizing that as I look back at my previous attempts there are lessons that I am learning. For example, five years ago I tried a recipe for East Side Burgers that required pumpkin seeds. It was an epic failure. Looking back I realize that it was the taste of the pumpkin seeds that I didn’t like. They were raw but I didn’t like the taste. I do love the taste of GO RAW’s sprouted pumpkin seeds so this time around I will use those seeds in the recipe.
    I know that it is distressing to falter at something that you are so passionate about but try not to beat yourself up too much. Just keep working towards your goal. Every once in a while you can try a raw recipe until you have amassed a large recipe list that you have practiced on and can do well. Along the way you can also learn time saving ways to prepare and the logistics required for raw food travel. Eventually when you try for 100% the transition will be much easier.
    I hope that any of this has been helpful. Good luck.
    John

    ReplyDelete