A Journal of Transition to a Raw Food Lifestyle

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Waterlogged! (Or so I thought)

I did it!  I actually drank 150 oz of water yesterday, so that’s 1 gallon + 22 ounces.  It really wasn’t hard at all.  I do usually drink about half a gallon of water a day anyway, so I guess it wasn’t that much of a leap to do more.  I think the size of the water bottle helps.  I have a 1.5 liter water bottle, so I only have to get through roughly 2.5 of those to equal one gallon.  I think having to drink like 10 bottles would be rather daunting.
I made a strange observation last night.  Before I went to bed I realized that my fingers were wrinkly like I might be dehydrated.  I WAS still thirsty and my lips were dry.  My fingers were skinny.  First time I’ve ever had skinny fingers in my life I think.  Even when I was thin, my fingers were fat.  It’s still like this today.  Skinny, wrinkled fingers, dry mouth, dry lips, thirst.  My theory is that my body used the extra water to do a very thorough flush.  But, of course, I don’t really know if that’s what happened.  I’ll check it out today and let you guys know.
So, I stayed 100% raw yesterday.  3 days down, whoo hoo!  I was not hungry yesterday at all.  It was kind of weird because I was starving the first two days.  I did some research and asked questions in some forums and groups that I belong to, and the general consensus seemed to be to just listen to my body.  So that’s what I did.  I didn’t actually eat until late afternoon and then I kind of just grazed a little bit for the rest of the day.  I feel pretty good.  I am getting ulcers in my mouth, I guess from all the citrus and tomatoes that I’ve been eating.  I’ve always been a tomato lover, so they have been a main staple of my diet these last 3 days.
I’ve been trying to decide if I should do this the vegan way.  I realized a few days ago that I could make beef jerky at home because that’s dehydrated, not cooked.  Raw food is considered food that is not heated or cooked above 118* Fahrenheit.  So you can actually warm up your food in a dehydrator, very low oven, or even a fancy blender.  Now I have never really loved beef jerky.  I would eat it when it was available and nothing else was (usually road trips), but as for buying it just to eat...never.  Well, suddenly the thought of jerky was like an oasis in the desert for me.  One small slice of meat in a sea of fruits and veggies.  The jerky is King and should be treated as such.  Now though, after 3 days of no animal products, I’m not so sure.  This is not a moral decision for me.  I have had some of the best steaks in the country and enjoyed every bite.  It’s more of a pollution question.  Do I want to pollute my otherwise squeaky clean diet with that little bit of animal products?  I guess I’ll decide as I go along.  Either way, I’ll keep you posted!  Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely a lifestyle change, but a great one! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete