Okay, so today and yesterday were not raw days for me. What was I thinking to do this at Christmas time when I was traveling and didn’t have time to prepare my own food? But it’s okay because I have learned from this experience.
Christmas Eve we went to my mom’s mouse. I had a huge salad and decided to eat a small bowl of chicken and sausage gumbo (but I didn’t have any sausage). It was literally like a cup of gumbo. And it was soooooooooooo good. I LOVE gumbo. Within 10 minutes I was sick in the bathroom and ended up missing half of present opening time. I also started getting tired and feeling like I was going to fall asleep on my drive home. This hasn’t happened since I started eating raw. I don’t regret eating the gumbo at all. But I couldn’t believe how my body reacted. Especially since I had a huge salad. I mean I think probably 75-80% of my food was raw. There is DEFINITELY a difference in how my body feels between eating raw and eating even just a little cooked food.
Fast forward to today (Christmas Day). I finally was able to use my VitaMix and had a really nice green smoothie for breakfast. I managed to avoid eating anything at my mother in law’s house for Christmas Dinner. It was hard. I kept thinking about how much easier this would have been if I would have had time to prepare my own food. When I got home Christmas Eve, there wasn’t even anywhere that I could go to buy a salad or fruit. I completely didn’t think about that or I would have brought some stuff home with me. Anyway, I told myself that I would make myself a small plate of food to bring home and if I still wanted it later, then I could eat it.
Then I started thinking about all of my food issues and about it being Christmas and most of this food being things that I only eat once a year. All of my previous diets have been ones of deprivation. Strict rules about what I can’t eat. I don’t want this to be that way. If I want to have a few bites of cornbread dressing, then I want to be able to eat it without guilt. Denying myself of the things that I want is what has led me to fail in the past, and I want this to be a long term life style change for myself. I am also really re-thinking this 100% raw thing. Maybe I should do 90% or something like that where I eat a small amount of cooked food every day so that if I DO splurge on something one day, it won’t make me sick. Most people are NOT 100% raw. I need to do some more research on this but I’m leaning towards 80-90%. I am starting the Resolve to Evolve program through Raw Food Rehab on January 1, and I think that will give me more direction.
I know for sure that I will wake up in the morning and be back on track. I know for sure that this is really the lifestyle that I want for myself. I know for sure that I am evolving and food is not holding so much guilt and emotional baggage for me. I know for sure that my plate of food from Christmas Dinner was yummy, and I’m glad that I ate it. I’ll see you tomorrow, for Day 6 take 3.
awesome. its a lot easier to stick to a diet if you don't beat yourself up over what you eat. that's why i got the treadmill. i go over my allowed calories, i just work them off at night...theoretically...little bastards won't leave. :)
ReplyDelete